by John Flanagan
In AutoCAD fill patterns are referred to as Hatch Patterns. In Revit the Fill Patterns tool is used to modify and create fill patterns.
Use the following path to access the Fill Patterns tool:
- Ribbon > Manage Tab > Settings Panel > Additional Settings drop-down > Fill Patterns. The Fill Patterns dialogue box will open.
- Select the desired Pattern Type: Drafting or Model to display the relative types of patterns.
- Select the desired pattern from the pattern samples which you want to edit and click on the Edit Fill Pattern tool at the bottom of the dialogue box. The Edit Pattern Properties dialogue box will open as shown.
Next, type the name of the pattern in the Name edit box.
Select the Basic type if you want to create a pattern using lines only. On selecting Basic type, the options to define orientation, angle and spacing between two lines will be displayed. Set the desired parameters and check the preview.
Select the Custom Type button to define custom settings for a fill pattern. The following Dialogue box will open:
- Click the Browse button to load a custom pattern. The import Fill Pattern dialogue box will open.
Path: C Programme Files / Autodesk Revit 2021 / Data / Pat file.
- Select the desired PAT File in the dialogue box and click on the Open button. The list of Patterns will be displayed in the Settings area of the dialogue box.
- Set the other parameters as you want and click OK to modify the pattern. Also, you can use the New Fill Pattern, Delete Fill Pattern and Duplicate Fill Pattern tools of this dialogue box.
When you are working with Fill Patterns for materials you will typically use drafting patterns for the cut and model patterns for the surface.