by Garry Stockton
- Use only letters A-Z, hyphen, underscore and numbers 0-9 for all fields.
- All fields shall be separated by a hyphen character “-” Do NOT use spaces.
- Within a field, either CamelCase or an underscore “_” shall be used instead of a space to separate words.
- A single period character "." shall be used to separate the file name from the extension. This character should not be used anywhere else in the file name.
- The file extension shall not be amended or deleted.
- An “XX” shall be used if the file does not refer a single specific zone or level.
- The scheme for zone and level sub-division shall be agreed with the other project professionals at the outset and defined in the Project BIM Strategy document.
- Elements where a naming convention is not explicitly defined by this Standard shall adopt the naming convention of existing elements and prefix with a 3- character abbreviation to identify corporate author.
Image courtesy of Autodesk