Can you add real world 3D Model files into your Infraworks Model?
Yes. Infraworks allows you to add in 3D Model files using the following formats: FBX, IMX, 3DS, OBJ, DAE, and DXF files. To open 3D Model files into Infraworks follow the steps as outlined below.
1.Do one of the following:
- Drag and drop the model file onto the InfraWorks 360 window, or
2.On the Data Sources panel, do the following:
- Click (Add File Data Source).
- Click 3D Model.
- Find and then Open the model file (InfraWorks 360 supports FBX, IMX, 3DS, OBJ, DAE, and DXF files.)
3.Double-click the new data source to configure it.
4.On the Data Source Configuration screen, do the following:
- Specify a name for the model and, optionally, a description.
- Click the entry under Type and select an appropriate entry. For example, select Buildings if you are importing a 3D building model.
5.To change the coordinate system, origin, offset, scale, or rotation for the data, click the Geo Location tab. Generally, InfraWorks 360 can position the incoming data automatically, based on the data itself. If not then use the Interactive Placing option, to click in the Model to position the 3D File.
6.To add a tooltip for the layer, access the Tooltip tab. A tooltip displays at the top of the right-click menu for the data.
7.Click the 3D Model tab to adjust the model. The preview display on this tab shows how the 3D model is affected by your settings. Those settings include:
- Render Detail — Use these settings to control how models of different sizes and levels of complexity are represented in the model.
- Simplify Model reduces the number of triangles that define the shape of the model, which reduces detail.
- Model Handling specifies how the model will be rendered. Try the Auto-adjust setting first, and make further adjustments only if necessary.
- Model Repair — Use these settings if the model does not appear as expected.
8.Click Close & Refresh to apply your changes and see the results in the model.
Example 3D Model Files include; BT Tower and London Shard