By Martin Phelps
A Quick Overview of the New Features in V-Ray 3.2
V-Ray is now fully compatible with 3D Studio Max 2016, V-Ray 3.2 introduces VR rendering capabilities and multiple V-Ray RT GPU enhancements. V-Ray 3.2 for 3ds Max also includes improved volume rendering, distributed rendering, and global illumination.
New VR Cameras
With two new VR camera types, spherical and cube.
New V-Ray RT GPU Features
V-Ray 3.2 for 3ds Max includes a faster and more powerful V-Ray RT GPU.
V-Ray RT GPU supports:
- QMC sampling using NVIDIA CUDA (resolves noise faster)
- Anisotropic highlights
- Composite map
- Output curves
- Texture baking
- UDIM support (MARI)
New V-Ray Volume Grid adds support for OpenVDB, Field3D, and Phoenix FD volume grid formats.
- Add or remove distributed rendering nodes on the fly.
- Updated Light Cache algorithm removes light leaks and improves animation
- New preview types for proxy objects – includes mesh simplification for optimized proxy display
- Faster rendering of hair and fur
- Intel Embree support for 3ds Max Hair & Fur and V-Ray Fur
3ds Max 2016
- Full support for new 3D Studio Max Physical Camera.
- Support for new 3D Studio Max Physical Camera exposure control
- V-Ray Lens Analysis Utility adds support for the 3D Studio Max Physical Camera