By Trevor Clayton
Autodesk have just released the 2016 versions of Civil 3D. Below is an overview of the new release. Over the next few weeks I will be sharing my favorite features and UK specific workflows with you.
What's New video:
Some of the new and enhanced features of Civil 3D 2016 include:
This interface includes numerous enhancements that help make the interface more intuitive and efficient to use. These include:
- Layouts now support Drag and Drop to move or copy layouts to positions that are hidden in the overflow menu.
- User Interface now supports a GALLERYVIEW system variable that controls whether galleries are displayed. An example of a gallery would be a preview of blocks, mleaders, dimensions, and tables.
- UI Finder – When you click on the Find link for a tool in the Help window, an animated arrow points to the location of that tool in the Quick access toolbar and user interface. In AutoCAD 2016 this functionality has been extended to include the status bar and application menu.
Same DWG Format
The .DWG format will remain the same format for 2016.
AutoCAD 2016 has added support for attaching coordination models to a drawing. A coordination model is a model used for virtual coordination of various trades through the pre-construction and construction phases of a project. Support for attaching Autodesk® Navisworks files, either an NWD or NWC file, is supported.
Point cloud tools
Tools such as Point Cloud Object Snaps, Point Cloud Crop States, and, an addition Point Cloud Manager that always displays the on/off buttons for scans and regions, give you more functionality for the user to visually display and use the point cloud data.
InfraWorks 360 data exchange with Civil 3D
Bring Autodesk InfraWorks 360™ data into AutoCAD Civil 3D by referencing a local InfraWorks 360 model has been integrated. The feature has been enhanced with the ability to bring Autodesk InfraWorks 360 bridges into AutoCAD Civil 3D as 3D solids. This enables a user to take preliminary design efficiently into a design environment and then back to Autodesk InfraWorks 360 for more accurate visualization of a project.
Import and export AutoCAD solids to IFC files
The ability to import and export Industry Foundation Class (IFC) files has been added. This allows a user to Import and Export AutoCAD solids to IFC files for use in other applications.
Data shortcut management tools
We now have the option to use the Manage Data Shortcuts command to repair broken data shortcuts and to replace drawing objects with data shortcuts. As a result, users are able to compare the objects and data shortcuts that are in the current drawing to the data shortcuts that are available in the current project. Users can select a drawing object, or a broken data shortcut, and then link it to a valid data shortcut.
New Project Organization tools
Users can organize your project objects within subfolders by using Autodesk Vault Professional 2016. The subfolders are displayed in Prospector if they contain a project object.
- Create Civil 3D surfaces from point cloud data
- Subassembly loop support (Subassembly Composer)
- Create AutoCAD solids from Civil 3D objects—surfaces, pipe networks, and pressure networks
- Exclusionary catchments
- Corridor targeting alignments by layer
- Crossing pipe labels
- Control the direction of cross-section views
Check out the Feature comparison matrix below for even more details on the new features.